Monday, November 8, 2010

A COOL CONVERSION STORY

October 25, 2010 Letter

Dear Family,
I think I have a few minutes to sit down and write to you. I'm not quite sure where to begin. Ah....I guess I'll start by replying to your letters. I got one from Emma and one from mom. Oh wait...whoops. I replied to those last week! So I guess I don't have any to reply to.
Well, we met the coolest less active guy ever! We went over for the first time earlier this week and his wife and daughter were gone on a trip so we just talked with him. We talked with him for about an hour and a half and I never got bored. He is such a good story teller. I told him that I was from Oregon and then he told us about a road trip he took as a teen which took him to Oregon for the first time. He told us about his trip to the Redwoods, his first concert, his first time surfing, his first trip to San Francisco, and lots more. He is such a neat guy! He's seen a lot. He also told us about his conversion story. He said that a friend gave him a Book of Mormon to read. He told his friend that he didn't want it. His friend said, "I know you don't. Just read it and we'll talk later." So he took it and his friend said, "Read the book and then come to me and disprove it with your Bible."
So he read it the first time to disprove it. The he read it again and learned a few things and saw that the Book of Mormon helps to clarify the Bible. Then the third time he read it he prayed before he read and he became converted. He went to his friend and his friend asked, "You ready to disprove it?"
He said, "No...I just need to be baptized."
It was such a neat conversion story. I wish that I could have recorded the whole thing!
We went back a few days later and his wife and daughter were back. We got to meet his daughter. She is thirteen. She's a neat girl...very friendly. She played a few songs on the piano.
We went by again last night and we finally got to meet his wife. She doesn't like Mormons but she gave us raspberry lemonade and popcorn. It was good. We are trying to reactivate him and hopefully teach his wife and daughter.
So we have a new district leader. His name is Elder Melville. He actually served here in Ulysses right before me. I'm the Elder that replaced him.
There is another less active family that we've been working with and the daughter just turned eight and was having a birthday party and she invited us so we told her we'd be there. I told her that I'd bring her present. That's a long story!...but basically she owed me a Twix and I owed her a present so I got her a King-size Twix and wrapped it up and put in in a box...then put that box in a bigger box...then put those boxes in a bigger box! Then I colored it and taped it shut and then wrote a note on it:
Joslyn,
Here's a birthday gift for the gift I never got
Either I have been forgotten or the gift has been forgot
I hope this sets things straight, I don't want to bear complaint
Happy birthday Joslyn, have fun being eight!

The I signed it. Her mom loved it. Joslyn thought it was funny. Then we all ate cake and ice-cream.
We also got to see a long-time potential investigator that we've been trying to see for a while. We had a very spiritual lesson with her. Her daughter was doing homework when we started teaching but by the end she was listening. She really wants to learn. I'm excited to teach them.
So I think I told you about our phone exploding...well, not working at least. Anyway...we got a new battery for it today. It's been really hard without it for the past week and a half. It's good to have a phone again.
Well, I think those are the up-dates from Kansas. Oh, wait...I just went out to check the mail and guess what I found!?!?! A letter from Emma and also a surprise letter from Sam inside!
Well Emma, I think your idea is a good one...you should all just move out here! Actually I'm excited to see all the changes that the house has gone through. It sounds like you've been kept pretty busy with all the different projects! So how are you enjoying Seminary? Are you in the Doctrine and Covenants this year?
How is Nimblerod doing? Has he moved or is he still 'hanging around'? (a spider outside our living room window)
So you've been learning how to dance huh! I remember when I did that at a youth activity. Let's just say I'm glad your enjoying it. I'll leave it at that!
And now for Sam! I suppose I can forgive you for not writing in a while. I'm glad that you were able to find a few minutes to write.
Man, National Safety week sounds pretty eventful! I wonder if any of those kids will actually need to ever use the information they learned! I bet they did enjoy the chance to run around for a little bit.
It sounds like you're on a roll with your college! How much longer until you get your Associates Degree? You'll be there way before me! You've left me in the dust!
I know what you mean about it being harder to have to do assignments with other people and having your grade affected by how well they do. I had to deal with that a lot in my film and lighting classes. Hopefully your groups are good ones.
As for the girls in Wal-mart...no, there was not a power outage, thank you very much! They could see my beautiful complexion perfectly well!
So did you end up going to the temple? I can't wait until I can go more than once a year! It is such a great place to be.
I thought I was coming down sick about a week ago but it only lasted a day. I think it may have been allergies or something.
So, my room is being used as storage huh? Well, I'm glad that it's being put to use!
Well, I had better head off. I want to make sure I have this in the mail to you on time and the mailman should be by in just a few minutes. Love you all. Have a great week!
Love Elder Cryer

No comments:

Post a Comment