Sunday, May 30, 2010

BAPTISMS*KANSAS*SPANISH

5-24-2010 Dear Family, So, I said I'd tell you more about those eight people who have a date to be baptized on the 6th of June. We have J.R. He is the 9 year old son of a less active member. We went over and taught him yesterday and there was another little girl there. She was about nine years old as well. She is a member of the Asembly of God church. All the adults were inside talking and so we sat out in the yard and had the lesson. It started out as just us and J but within about two minutes J's brother (4 years old) and the other nine year old girl and her little sister joined us. We had fun teaching them all the plan of salvation. They all had fun looking at the pictures and learning. While we were teaching Sister R brought out some food so I took in the dishes when we were done and I got to meet the girls parents. He eventually asked if I was Mormon. I told him I was. I don't even remember how the conversation went but I asked him if he would like to come to church with us next Sunday. He said, "Well, why don't you come to my church instead!" I said, "Yeah, if you'll come to ours!" So we have a deal now! So we're going to go with him to the Asembly of God either this Tuesday or next. It was funny. Then we have the G's, a spanish couple in Hugoton. We also have W.H. She is a lady we ITL'd and she came to church once with us. We've taught her the first so far. She really liked her experience at church though. She's concerned because she already got baptized and it was really special to her and she doesn't know if she wants to be baptized again. So we're working with her. Then we have E and M. We just found them while we were tracting in the 100 degree weather yesterday. They both accepted a baptismal date right away. They are a young couple with a little boy. They are also a spanish speaking family. I really have to learn Spanish! And then last, but not least, we have M & K. M is the mother and K is her 17 year old daughter. They also both have a date for the 6th. They couldn't come to church with us yesterday because K had graduation all day. Graduation is a huge deal here! The whole flippin' town is all celebrating! It's crazy. No one would come to church because of graduation. In fact, about half our ward was gone on Sunday...including the bishop! So those are all of our people who have dates at the moment. It's very exciting. I hope that they all follow through. So, it sounds to me like you are all doing great. Man, Thursdays sound crazy! It seems like there always has to be one day that is always crazy busy! So dad released Landon last Thursday?! That is so crazy! Has he changed at all? I bet he loved his mission and I bet his family are excited to have him back again. Well, thanks for seding the patriarchal blessings. I had the same reaction as Emma. I felt so glad and blessed to be a part of this family. There are some pretty amazing things promised to us if we're faithful. So, you're not going on the trek huh? Well, I'm sure Emma will love coming home to a celebration ready to start right away! I'm sure you and Sam will have fun too. (Even if it is sitting at home reading or something!) What?! Emma's going to be 15? Are you sure about that Emma? Is that true? That's just wrong! That's so old! So Jaron got his driving permit?! How old is he? Isn't he only, like 12!? He should not be driving. Wow, that's so weird! Well, you asked how I'm doing her in Kansas. I'm doing good. It's funny because most everyone who lives here doesn't like it at all. They're always saying, "I hate it here...it's so depressing!" I can't figure out why they're still here! But, I like it just fine. Of course as a missionary we don't worry what there is to do around and all that. We are just focused on the people. Your description of how you think of Kansas though is very accurate! It is flat, dry, dusty and windy...all the time! It never changes. The dust is always blowing in our eyes and we always have a light dusting of dust in our hair and on our skin and clothes. I can't tell if I'm getting tanner or if I'm just getting dustier. Maybe just a little of both! That's funny that you greet me when I pop up on the computer! So in a way it's like I never even left! Well, you asked when I get to go to the temple. I get to go on my year mark. So I have about three or four more months to wait. So guess what!? I ITL'd a guy in Spanish the other day! It was so scary! "Hey sir, how are you doing today?" I asked He just looked at me with a confused look so I said, "Oh, habla espanol?" He smiled and said, "Si." So I said, "Oh, hola, como esta?" He replied, "Bien." "Mi nombre es Elder Cryer. Como se llama?" He told me his name and then I said, "Somos los misioneros de la iglesia de Jesu Cristo de los santos de los ultimos dias." Then I turned to Elder Alonso and handed it off to him because that's all I can say so far! It was pretty intense! But don't think I'm ready for a letter all in spanish! That's still a little ways off! I'm trying to learn how to bear my testimony in spanish. Well, that's basically everything that has gone on here in Ulysses. Oh, dad...do you know anything about 'Wagonbed Springs'? I guess there was some sort of mormon army that camped there or something. Anyway, this guy was telling me about it and told me I should go check it out. I guess it's right here between Ulysses and Hugoton. I thought I'd get a little background history on it first and then go check it out one of these P-days. Well, I guess I'll wrap this up. I am still alive and well her in Kansas...Well, I think I'm still alive! Hope your week has gone great and hope it continues to do so! Love you all a ton. Love Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment