Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A DISAPPOINTMENT * ITCHING FEET * AND A CHRISTIAN LADY

7-19-2010 letter
Dear Family,
Hey! You're having a great week right?
Well, let's see. What do I need to update you on?...
I have some very sad news. "N" did not get baptized on the 18th. She was doing so well. We were visiting her every day and she had her interview and was looking great. We even saw her Saturday night and told her we had everything and everyone ready for Sunday. She was so excited. There was even a lady in the ward that told us she would bring brownies and lemon bars. Well, then Sunday rolls around and we woke up at 6:30 am and got ready for church and then at 8:00 am we noticed that we had a missed call from her at 6:00 am that morning! When we saw that we zipped over to her house. We knocked on her door and her mom, who had been there for a couple days, said "Who is it?"
I leaned up to the closed door and said, "It's the missionaries."
Then she said, "Oh, well N isn't here." She told us that she didn't know where she was. Elder Alonso and I decided we would still go by the church and print out the baptism program. When we got to the church we knelt down and offered a prayer asking that we would know what to do and that we would be able to accept the Lords will and N's agency. Then we printed out the programs. About ten minutes before church was going to start we went by N's house again. Her mom talked to us through the door again. She said that N had gone to Dodge City for a family emergency. We tried calling throughout the day but we didn't hear back. It was so disappointing. It was hard to work that day.
I don't know why I'm being tried so much. It's been far too long since I have helped someone receive the covenants of baptism. I don't know what the reason is. I really appreciate what you said at the end of your e-mail mom. It really did help to read D&C 122:8. I have also been reflecting on the words of Ammon in Alma 26:27-30. I feel like I understand what Ammon felt. Don't worry, I'm not about the turn back. But I do feel like I'm at a point where the Lord is asking me to "bear with patience my afflictions." It is very hard. But the reason the Lord asks us to do it is mentioned in verse 30: "And we have suffered all manner of afflictions, and all this, that perhaps we might be the means of saving some soul."
That is why we do it. That is why we stay happy and optimistic. That is why we never give up. Because that one soul is out there waiting, even praying for you. President Pfile has given us a promise from the Lord that there is a baptism waiting to happen in every area. We just have to find them and prepare them by helping them feel the spirit.
We are going to try and see N tonight and give her a date for the 25th to be baptized. I hope she accepts.
I do have to ask...how do you always seem to know how I'm feeling mom? You are amazing! you always say things that help me face all the struggles I have. Anyways, however you do it I really appreciate it.
So, I have to agree with you mom, the stationary that you chose for your last letter was very interesting. I liked it though....it made me want to go write a song.
What's this? You got contacts mom!?!? That's crazy! Do you like them? Now you can relate to how Sam felt trying to learn how to put them in and take them out.
So I think that they are holding the mail longer at the mission office because I have still not received the letter from Sam (including the Morning Toast) that you said you mailed on the 12th. That's already been a week and I just went out to check the mail and it's not there. Oh well...I'm sure it's on the way!
So, Sam and Emma...mom tells me that you have gotten your hands on some HUGE marshmallows! Is this true? That sounds like a ton of sugar! ARe you sure that those are even legal?
Well, the other day we were tracting and we came to the door of a Christian lady. It was very interesting. I figured I would just copy the journal entry about her so that's what that July 15, 2010 paper is all about.
Well, let's see...what else is new? Oh, I think I have athletes foot. Yeah, that's fun huh!? I have a rash like thing on the bottom of both my feet. That's a first for me. I noticed it because me feet were itching like crazy! Luckily we had a spray for it here in the apartment. It doesn't itch anymore and I think it's starting to clear up. I'm pretty sure I'll live.
Well, I better get this off. I love you all very much. Thank you for all your support!
Take care of yourselves!
Love Ben
P.S. How is Francis Cooper? I haven't heard from her in a while. Is Chris still doing the army thing? Tell Sister Cooper I was thinking of her and her family will you? Thanks!

The Journal Entry July 15, 2010
We just came in from tracting to eat lunch. We just got done talking to a 'Christian' lady. She was crazy! She kept telling us what we believed (which was all wrong) and then when we corrected her she would just shake her head and say, "NO, that is not what you believe."
She kept saying, "Mormons don't know what they believe."
We just smiled and said, "Well, we know what we believe!"
She told us that we don't pray to Jesus Christ, that we don't believe in the Bible, that we aren't Christians, that we practice witchcraft and a lot of other things. She told us that we are wolves in sheep's clothing going door to door preaching false doctrine. She brought up that whole Revelations scripture about not adding or taking away from the Bible.
I said, "Well if you would read the Book of Mormon then you would find that it teaches the same as the Bible."
She said, "Oh no it doesn't teach the same."
Then I said, "I don't think I would say that until I read it and knew what it said."
She went on the explain how she has studied Mormonism and read lots of books about us. She wouldn't listen to a thing we said. She kept telling us what she believed about Christ and the central role of the Atonement. We just kept saying, "Yes, that's what we believe too!"
She said, "No, you believe that you get to heaven by your works. You think that by doing this mission thing you'll get a higher place in heaven."
Of course we tried to explain that that wasn't true but of course she didn't listen! I don't get what's so hard about listening to what we have to say and then pray about it to know if it's true.

No comments:

Post a Comment