Monday, July 11, 2011

LOT'S OF SERVICE

July 5, 2011 Letter
Dear Family,
So, I told you in my e-mail that I had some cool stories to tell you. Well, I was just joking. I actually don't have any stories. O.K. O.K....maybe I do.
So, a few days ago we walked down the street to go and see someone. Well, they're usually always home but this day they were out. A few doors down we saw this guy chippin' wood. We walked over to see if he could use some help. At first he was like, "Ah, no you guys will get dirty." We told him that was fine....white shirts and ties are our work clothes. So he let us help. We went around back and began dragging branches around front. There was about 20 trees worth of branches. Well, it turns out that it was a retirement home and they had been having trouble with a mountain lion hiding in all the trees. That's why they were cutting them down. As we work we find out that one of the guys working is a less-active member. Then the non-member comes around back and tells us that since we were helping so much he had gone in and asked the lady running the home if she would make us lunch. So he said, "Go eat some lunch and share your message with them. She'll let you teach or whatever." So we went and ate lunch and talked to a guy named O.J. He has been meeting with the Jehovah's Witnesses. He asked about the Book of Mormon. We gave him one, then explained it to him. He said he'd ask his JW friends if he should read it. I said, "Oh, they'll tell you not to. What about if you asked God?" He looked a little surprised and then said, "Your right...I'll ask God." It was cool.
So, service, lunch and give out a Book of Mormon with a lesson....all from talking to one guy chippin' wood. It's amazing what just talking to people will do.
Well, we continue to work a bunch with the sisters. They just keep giving us referrals and asking us to come to lessons with them. It's been good though. I'd rather teach lessons that tract!
We have done a lot of service lately as well. We've been helping with a lot of moves. It's been hot. Today we helped a lady move and it was low to mid 90's. I got a little sun,...not bad though.
So when was it that Sam and Emma are leaving? I know it's soon. You excited yet? I'm excited for whenever I get to make it over there again. Be sure to e-mail while you're over there!
So I don't know if I ever told you...but I bought a Fossil watch off a missionary going home a while back. Well, it says it's waterproof. We went and did service for someone and it got all dirty so I ran it under a very gentle stream of water. Well, the next day there was a bunch of water condensation on the inside of the watch face! So it's been sitting in a bag of rice for a few days. It's almost clear. Good ol' rice....works wonders.
We've been doing a fair amount of tracting lately. We got caught in the rain a few days ago. It felt so nice to be walking in the rain. One guy let us in to get out of the rain. He told us he wasn't interested, but we ended up teaching him anyway....because he started asking questions!
Well, I better get this off to you. Hope to hear from you soon.
Love you,
Love Elder Cryer

No comments:

Post a Comment